Member Highlight

Please meet Katie Elkins – the Alzheimer’s and Related Dementias Interest Group’s (IGARD)
 Member of the Month for December, 2018!  You can also view this interview soon on the IGARD blog.

Click here to View photo or see below.  

I understand that you work for the Mountain Brook (AL) Public Library?  What is your position there?

I work at Emmet O'Neal in the circulation department as an assistant librarian. I'm the lady who
 calls you when your dog ate a book.

How did you become interested in IGARD and its mission to help those living with dementia?

I was fortunate enough to be sent to the ALA in New Orleans this past summer, and I attended the 
IGARD presentation on a whim. My great grandmother suffered from dementia, so that was my first 
encounter with the disease. She passed away when I was only 10, but I knew her very well and the 
way dementia changed her personality made a big impression on me. In my work through the library, 
I have found my favorite patrons are the very young and the very old, for their openness and 
enthusiasm. I have watched many of my older patrons go through the stages of dementia, and I have
 enjoyed being able to help them wherever they are mentally or physically on any given day. It's not an
 easy task emotionally at times, especially when you realize that the person you started out knowing
 has really gone. The people who support dementia patients are truly saints. I have often been in awe 
of the love that people can provide others through simple everyday assistance. I was so excited when 
I attended IGARD's presentation and realized that there is already an entire community of librarians
 working to support these patrons.

You are currently the Communications Chair for IGARD and have recently set up or expanded several social 
media sites for our group.  Can you tell us more about your efforts in this area?

I set up a blog and updated our Facebook page. The blog is the new repository for IGARD"S toolkit, 
so if you are looking for online resources about dementia related programming or policies for your own
 library, it can now be found at http://igardascla.blogspot.com    My hope is to get enough feedback 
from our community to start a newsletter. I would love to hear ideas from anyone in the community 
about better ways to communicate and share ideas.

What role do you see libraries taking in the future to help improve the quality of life for those living with
 dementia?

I would love to start a mobile Memory Cafe here in Jefferson County. Our county cooperative has a
 total of forty libraries, and I think that a Memory Cafe program would be a huge hit.

What are some of your hobbies, interests or avocations?

I like to sew, in fact I used to teach dressmaking and knitting when I lived in DC. I have a degree in art 
and I exhibit my art locally in galleries. I like fixing and building things.

Anything else you would want to tell us?

I'm very happy to be working for IGARD, and I hope I get to talk to as many people who are involved 
with libraries and people with dementia.


Happy Holidays to All!
Mary Beth Riedner
Membership Chair, IGARD




Comments